If your company is an external print and mail service provider, you are at the end of the document production line. You have no access to the databases your clients use to create the bills, statements, notices, claims, and other transactional documents that you create. Companies usually do document composition internally. Your firm, the print/mail service provider, receives only the product of the composition step–a print-ready file such as a PDF.
It might seem that you have little opportunity to add value to the documents your clients entrust you to produce–that you can only print what the client sends you. But that’s not always the case. With access to the right tools, you can pull data from those print-ready files and use it to make the documents easier to understand. You can target individual document recipients with relevant ads or messages, connect documents to other relevant resources, and implement other strategies beneficial to you and your clients.
Document Re-engineering to Add Value
Unless you add value, you are forced to sell your services based on lowering the cost. Commodity pricing puts you at the mercy of your competitors–who might undercut your price to get the work.
Let’s look at a few examples of document improvements you can make with document re-engineering software, like that offered by Crawford Technologies:
- Data-driven ads and messages: If documents you produce feature detail lines that specify a product or service, you can add relevant messaging based on what a customer bought. An example might be to advertise an extended warranty or offer a discount on a popular accessory related to the product that was purchased.
- Add color for clarity: Take advantage of your color inkjet or toner presses by highlighting certain areas of documents in color so they stand out. Directing customers to self-service areas of a website, for instance, can decrease the number of customer service calls to handle, saving your clients money. Another idea might be highlighting the due date, which can increase the number of invoices paid on time, improving your customers’ cash flow.
- Build a mailing control file: Software can analyze account numbers and count pages to create a file that controls the inserting equipment. The software also generates the mail inserting barcodes. File-based inserting enables greater quality control and allows you to implement timesaving processes, like automated reprints.
- Move the address block: The position of the sending address on a printed page determines the location of envelope windows and fold plate specifications. By repositioning the address block, you can standardize on a single outbound envelope and eliminate folder adjustments between jobs. This allows you to combine small jobs and achieve higher productivity at lower costs.
- Segmented mailings: Use the ending balance on brokerage statements to separate the documents for high-net-worth customers. Add details such as full color charts and graphs or print the statements on high quality paper to communicate your client’s appreciation for the business of their wealthy customers.
- Change workflow or messaging: Based on payment method data mined from the bills, suppress the insertion of return envelopes for customers who pay online. Add messaging touting the benefits of autopay.
As you can see from these examples, the opportunities to add value to your print and mail services are plentiful once you can extract and analyze data you already have–the information present in the print-ready files. Abilities like these will separate you from your competition, increase customer loyalty, and can even allow you to charge a bit more to process transactional documents for your clients, improving your profitability.
On Premise or In the Cloud
With Crawford Technologies, companies have two choices for handling their document re-engineering requirements. For those with a heavy consistent workload, Operations Express is an on-premise solution that runs entirely in your own computing environment. For those with more modest needs, or document re-engineering tasks that only occur occasionally, we offer PRO DocNow.
Operating in a secure AWS cloud environment, PRO DocNow can perform all the modifications available from an on-premise software solution at a fraction of the cost. PRO DocNow resides in a private cloud environment from Amazon Web Services. A small application installed on your local computers manages a secure connection to the software. Crawford Technologies customers pay for PRO DocNow only when they use it. We base the cost on the number of processed pages. This software is perfect for companies that want to avoid the expense of licensing and maintaining full-time on-premise software.
New job set-up is easy with PRO DocNow and requires no special technical skills. Crawford Technologies’ technical team will code the transformation and re-engineering instructions for the software according to your specifications and requests. Once defined, your job will be registered in the cloud application and added to your Directory Monitor. All you need to do is load the production files!
An Opportunity to Stand Out
Companies in every industry are working to forge more personal and satisfying relationships with their customers. Regular monthly or quarterly transactional documents are important controllable customer touchpoints. They offer many opportunities to strengthen the customer experience. With access to document re-engineering software, print/mail service providers can help them do it.